Conservatory - Week 2, Day 5

Work In Progress / 03 November 2019

Yesterday I spent quite a lot of time making an ivy leaf material with  some shape and colour variations. 



I made the shape of the ivy by combining shape nodes and passing it through slope blur, then using Histogram Scan to get crisp edges. 



I then used lines and bevel, then mirror and warp nodes to create a wavy effect that was blended on the leaf shape. I also used cells to add small bumps to the leaf.



I used bevelled  cells again to get the big shapes for the leaf.


I used my own photos as reference:





The fern leaf material needed some tweaking as it looked too clean. I used the smooth curvature node (with some level passes) to make parts of the leaf older and yellow, and added some yellow spots (I have this plant at home and it often gets these spots if not watered enough).


I also made the fern plant and the Chinese evergreen plants with the leaf material from the day before. Here is how the look like in Engine:



Today I decided  to go back to my floor tiles material as I did not think the colours reflected my reference pictures. I also made it a little more distressed looking by using a mixture of sharp and soft noises, using Fill to Random as a mask to distribute them and warping them with Fill to Texture.



I also applied parallax occlusion on them, but kept it sutil. I used Unreal Engine's documentation as a guide to implement the parallax into my master material, that now has a POM Switch.

Here is a comparison of what it looked like before and after the tweaking:


I also felt like the room didn't look cosy enough, as there was too much space unfilled. I decided to block out some more furniture and mess in it with simple blocks in Unreal Engine. I think the extra mess will really add more to the feeling that someone is living in this conservatory.