Garage - Week 4

Work In Progress / 10 December 2019

I made more materials for the garage, starting with metal:

Metal material


Next I made cast iron:

Cast Iron material 



Reference


And for the floor, I made 2 variations of concrete (to vertex paint), damaged and undamaged:

Damaged Concrete material


Undamaged Concrete Material


Reference


For the formative hand in last week, since I was very late with everything, I just applied a world aligned material to most things that had not been textured yet. This week I will be baking and texturing any remaining props.

The scene was still looking very empty (it was also missing a car, but that was a problem for later). I asked my peers for advice and my colleague Ashley Brocklebank, who is a concept artist, was extremely helpful. He suggested getting some mid size props to fill the space, which resulted in modelling oil drums and tires, then scattering them around the scene. They really helped to fill the environment:


Environment as it was at the time of formative the hand in


I finally finished texturing the hero prop, which felt like a brief of its own. I used this prop to learn more about texturing in Substance Painter. I had not used smart masks before, and had a shallow understanding of generators and using the baked masks in fill layers to get different effects. For this prop I used a little bit of everything and made sure to avoid destructive workflows as much as possible. To match it to the original piece, I had to make all logos and written and drawn bits on Photoshop (except for the bottom one in the body, I was able to find a great image of it online which only needed some warping to work. I also changed it in Substance Painter by adding grime and dust). The prop is missing some buttons and wheels, because I will use the same meshes across it to save on texture space.


Final texture in Substance Painter


Final texture in Substance Painter


Final texture in Substance Painter


Final texture in Substance Painter


Final texture in Substance Painter


This is what it looks like in Unreal Engine for now. I definitely need to improve the lighting to show it off better:

The prop in Unreal Engine


The prop in Unreal Engine


The prop in Unreal Engine


This week I finally sort of finished the car, enough to throw a blanked on top of it. The base cloth was made in Marvelous Designer, then brought into Zbrush to add some more detailing, like random smaller creases. For this I used the free Poliigon fabric brushes, which saved me a lot of time. I then baked the fabric with Marmoset and brought it into the scene. It still needs to be properly textured, and is currently on the list with all the other things that need texturing.

Fabric in Marvelous Designer


Fabric in Marvelous Designer


Fabric in Zbrush


Fabric in Zbrush


For now, this is how the fabric looks like in Unreal Engine (it is still awaiting textures other than the normal map):


Unfinished fabric in Unreal Engine


Unfinished fabric in Unreal Engine
  

Unfinished fabric in Unreal Engine